Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sirius(2013)



Sirius is a drama special lasting only 4 episodes that aired on KBS 2 in January.  I first read about this drama several months ago on DramaBeans, and had decided that maybe it would be something I would enjoy after which I promptly forgot about it as I went on with my life and watched other things.  I was browsing DramaCrazy a week ago and noticed that the first episode had finally been subbed.  Last night, when I checked again all four episodes were up and subbed, I decided to go ahead and relax watching an action drama.  I love action, guns, fights, car chases, explosions, love it all.  Although Sirius is touted as an action drama, for me personally, it was more melodrama than anything dealing with the relationship between two brothers and how one's actions can affect both for many years to come.

This drama affected me more than any other drama I've watched.  My heart ached after watching it.  That's not a bad thing; it only means that it did its job very well.  The drama is about two brothers the older brother Do Eun Chang and the younger brother Do Shin Wu.  They happen to be identical twins.  Eun Chang is the popular brother, charismatic and street tough.  Shin Wu is quiet, naive, and prone to bullying.  The first fifteen minutes of this drama just about killed me; the whole time I was close to tears.


The twins as teenagers are played by Park Hyung Sik.  He does a marvelous job portraying both brothers in a way that they are easily distinguishable and unique.  Throughout the drama we get a few more clues about what happened after Eun Chang is sent to prison through flashbacks, and each time you can see the pain in the actor's face.  Park Hyung Sik is on my to watch list from now on.



Several years go by and we find out that Shin Wu is no longer the naive, scared younger brother he is now the Chief Detective going after the bad guys, and Eun Chang is released from prison only to find himself alone.  To me it seems that the personality of the two brothers changed.  Eun Chang comes out of prison quieter, humbler while Shin Wu has made himself tough and mean.  Makes you wonder what happened to the brothers when they didn't have the other one.

There's a bad guy, Mr. Ko, who kidnaps Shin Wu and forces Eun Chang to take over at the police station with the threat of killing Shin Wu.  And you see that regardless of the years that have passed the older brother is still willing to do anything to protect the younger one.  There are not enough words in the English language to describe how good this drama is.  From beginning to end, it tore my heart out.
Do Eun Chang (teenager)
Do Eun Chang
Do Shin Wu


An Na (Shin Wu's love interest)

So Ri (Eun Chang's love interest)
Mr. Ko



No comments: