Tuesday, February 19, 2013

That Winter the Wind Blows Ep. 1-3

       I don’t watch melodramas, except for Sirius, That Winter the Wind Blows is the first for me.  I don’t like to be depressed when I watch Korean dramas, although I do like depressing movies.  When I watch a Kdrama I want to let go of real life and watch something fun and bit on the ridiculous side.  I want to watch something that I know will have a happy ending.  The same reason I like Disney Princess movies because I want to see a happily ever after.  Going into a true melodrama, you never really know if at the end you’ll get that happy ending.  So as a general rule I tend to stay away from them, however, when I first saw the trailer for That Winter the Wind Blows I was determined to watch it.  Besides, I’m already sad that Flower Boy Next Door ends next week a bit more melancholy will hardly register.  (BTW, are you watching Flower Boy Next Door? And if not, why not? Go, now, watch it.  I’ll wait here.)

    The drama opens in a barren winter landscape where a lone tree breaks the unending white of winter.  Underneath the tree is a parcel of clothing, and as we see a woman quickly walk away from the tree we are given a glimpse of a baby in the parcel.  This is our “hero” Oh Soo, who we find out in the voice over is living a meaningless life.  The barren tree is very significant because in many ways Oh Soo sees himself like that tree devoid of life. The first episode sets us up for the main plot of the drama and in parts it feels more like an action drama than a melodrama.  There are fights, flights, and car crashes.  But beneath the action you feel Oh Soo’s sense of desperation.  I’ve seen all three episodes out now, and that sense of desperation mixed in with deep sadness prevails throughout the three episodes.  It comes from Oh Soo and also from the main female lead, Oh Young.  Both of their lives, for different reasons, have made them into innately sad people.
    I think since the first episode was shockful of action scenes the second and third episodes nothing really happened.  The story moved forward, people talked, the bad guy stalked, and I became completely hooked on the drama.  I can feel the sadness emanating from these two characters, the loneliness they’ve lived with for most of their lives and it touches something within me.  I don’t want to cry, but I do want to smack a few people.  
    My absolute favorite parts however are whenever Kim Bum and Jung Eun Ji are on camera and not just because I happen to adore them, but because they have wonderful chemistry together and become a backdrop to showcase that although Oh Soo might be lonely he isn’t really alone.  I don’t want to spoil the drama go watch it, well, after you’ve caught up with Flower Boy Next Door of course. 

1 comment:

Hope said...

To be fair, I scrolled through most of your text. I haven't started Winter yet and I don't want any spoilers. I ADORE Flower Boy Next Door. So cute, at first as usual, I was not an Enrique fan and totally on team Jin Rak, but he's won me over. I have to finish watching "A Gentleman's Dignity" before I can start "Winter" but I am really excited to see Kim Bum again, he's a doll.

PS. I am a crocheter and knitter as well. I can finally craft and read subtitles at the same time. Took months to master.